California Secretary of State Shirley Weber included former President Donald Trump’s name on the list of candidates certified to run in the state’s presidential primary, bucking several other blue states that are seeking to bar him from running, reported Politico.
Weber’s release of the list of candidates Thursday
evening means Trump will appear on the ballot in California’s presidential
primary on March 5. Weber’s decision came the same day that Maine Secretary of
State Shenna Bellows declared him ineligible to run for president because of
his role in the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on Congress, and a week after Colorado’s
Supreme Court reached the same conclusion.
Several elected Democrats had tried to remove him
from the California ballot, including Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis, who sent Weber a letter last week urging her to “explore
every legal option” to keep him off. Weber had pushed back on Kounalakis’
letter, telling her that “it is more critical than ever to safeguard elections
in a way that transcends political divisions.”
Democratic state Sen. Dave Min, an Orange County
congressional candidate, had said he would introduce a bill letting California
residents sue to block ineligible candidates — although given the legislative
calendar, it is all but impossible for such a measure to be passed and take
effect in time to apply to the March 5 presidential primary.
Gov. Gavin Newsom had signaled wariness of the attempts, issuing a statement
last week warning fellow Democrats of getting ahead of the U.S. Supreme Court,
which is almost certain to be the final arbiter of whether Trump can serve as
“There is no doubt that Donald Trump is a threat to
our liberties and even to our democracy,” he said, “but in California, we
defeat candidates at the polls. Everything else is a political distraction.”
To read more CLICK HERE