Saturday, October 27, 2012

Texas man admits crime moments before execution

The 33rd Execution of 2012

Convicted killer Bobby Lee Hines was executed in Texas on October 24, 2012 for strangling and repeatedly stabbing a suburban Dallas woman at her apartment 21 years ago, reported The Associated Press.

Hines was 19 and on probation for burglary when he stabbed 26-year-old Michelle Wendy Haupt 18 times and strangled her with a cord. Haupt had moved from the Pittsburgh area to Carrollton to work at a computer company in Dallas, and Hines was staying next door with a maintenance man for her apartment complex.

In the pre-dawn hours of Oct. 20, 1991, a neighbor heard screaming and called police, but officers were unable to find the source. When other residents told the apartment manager later that day about screams and loud noises that sounded like a bowling ball being dropped repeatedly, they persuaded him to open Haupt’s door and found her dead.

Hines was arrested that day. Hines’ older brother, a manager at the complex, told police he suspected his brother was involved, according to court records. And witnesses said Hines had bragged about having a passkey that allowed him to enter anyone’s apartment.

Police interviewed Hines, noticed he had scratches on his face and neck, and got consent from his roommate to search the apartment. Detectives found Haupt’s blood on Hines’ clothing and several things that had belonged to her, including a distinctive gold charm she wore on a necklace.

Hines had declared his innocence for 21 years.  However, when asked if he had a final statement he admitted the crime and asked for forgiveness.  While awaiting the lethal injection he said, “I know that I took somebody special from y’all, I know it wasn't right, it was wrong. I wish I could give it back, but I know I can’t. I wish there was something I could do.” If giving my life in return makes it right, so be it. I ask that ya'll forgive me. I know God forgave me. I know He has forgiven me for what I did. I don't believe that taking my life will solve anything. I believe that if I was locked up for the rest of my life, that would be more of a punishment. To do this is setting me free. God bless ya'll. I wish there was something I could do."
  As the lethal dose of pentobarbital was administered, he said he could feel it and was stopped in midsentence. He snored once, then slipped into unconsciousness. Twelve minutes later, at 6:28 p.m., he was pronounced dead.   To read more:

No comments:

Post a Comment